- Place a stick in the ground and mark the location of the shadow.
- Mark the location of the shadow.
- Wait 15 mins and place a mark where the shadow is now.
- The shadow has moved from West (1) to East (2).
- If you stand between them with West (1) on your left, you will find North.
Count the finger widths between the sun and horizon. Each finger is equivalent to fifteen minuets, with each hand totalling an hour.
When the sun dips low enough that only two hands fit its time to search for suitable campsite and assemble a shelter.